Wednesday 8 June 2011

my statement

I have always been inspired by nature, creatures, cells, people, communites well come to think about it if i look hard enough i reckon i could be inspired by just about anything. Good or bad.
This body of work has been made in my final year of my Foundation Degree in ceramics. I won't lie the last couple of years havent been easy as i have discovered that clay isnt the easiest of materials to work with and that i am naturally inclined to work with fabrics, stitch, paper and paint. But i gave it a good go anyway and the results have been worthwhile.
I knew i had to make a body of work that i was going to be happy making, afterall being creative keeps me happy, i make work for me, i have no intention of being a buisness, (as of yet anyway) and the worst thing is spending months on a piece that you dont like. So i came at the project from a textile point of view as this is something i am good at and have always been inspired by. I wanted to create something colorful, vibrant and tactile. Something that was changable, something that was able to evolve into something else...if that makes sense? I didnt want the piece to be conceptual, i wanted to keep the work playful and free.
The process is relativley simple and involves rolling out thin slabs of clay, imprinting textures from different fabrics and then rolling the clay into spirals that stand upright. I then went onto to mixing a whole load of different glazes, mainly alkaline and lead based as they are more reliable. The colors used are a collection of my favorite colours, blues, purpels greens and yellows along with some gold silver and browns, which i spray painted to add a different material into the mix.
The final steps were grouping all the pieces together to create this assorted community of gem like objects.
Im still playing around with the final arrangement for the show, its hard to decide which works best when theres so many outcomes to choose from. But then that was part of the idea in the first place, the the work is changable and forever evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment